В этой серии публикаций мы обратимся к текстам для чтения на выпускном экзамене по английскому языку. Сегодня мы разбираем текст из первого билета Can Cheating Be Stopped?
Вопросы к тексту Can Cheating Be Stopped?
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about.
2. Is cheating becoming a problem in the USA and Britain? Read aloud the extract which says about it.
3. How do students cheat using the Internet?
4. Why do students cheat?
Варианты ответов к тексту Can Cheating Be Stopped?
1. As you can deduce from its title the text is about cheating in educational establishments like colleges and universities. Cheating is a common problem in many countries. Students of different nationalities tend to cheat if they are sure they will get away with it. They cheat when they do written assignments mostly. It’s rather difficult to determine whether a piece of writing is genuine or copied. There are some computer programs to detect any acts of plagiarism, but you can’t rely on their findings when you deal with non-fictional writing.
2. More and more students at school and university are using the Internet to cheat in their coursework. In Britain, about 25 % of students copy material from the Internet when they write their homework. In the USA there is a similar problem. One report showed that about 54 % of students copy from the Internet when they prepare for the lessons.
3. The Internet offers a wealth of materials on every topic imaginable. It rarely takes much time to find materials which are similar to your area of research. Some students copy materials from the Internet without checking them. Others forget to mention the originals that contributed to their essays.
4. It is not easy to speak on behalf of people you are not familiar with but there are some common trends. Some students try to avoid hardships of writing in their own way. Other students are interested only in passing their exams, not in gaining some knowledge. A degree for them is no more than a requirement to get a decent job.
Обратите внимание на другой вариант ответов к тексту Can Cheating Be Stopped?. В данном случае в качестве ответов используются слегка измеренные предложения из текста.
1. This text is about cheating. The author analyses the reasons for it and offers ways to solve the problem.
3. Some students copy and include material from the Internet into their essays without indicating that they are using other’s work.
4.These days, a lot of students are more practical in their attitude. They are mostly interested in passing the exams. They want a degree to help them get a good job.
Теперь вы готовы к ответам на текст Can cheating be stopped?