В этой серии публикаций мы обратимся к текстам для чтения на выпускном экзамене по английскому языку. Сегодня мы разбираем текст из седьмого билета Mysterious disappearances
Вопросы к тексту Mysterious disappearance
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about.
2. How did the story begin? Read aloud the extract which says about it.
3. What are the details of the police investigation?
4. Why did Agatha Christie disappear according to the article?
Варианты ответов к тексту Mysterious disappearance
1. The text runs about a strange episode in Agatha Christie’s biography, the famous English detective writer. In December 1926 Agatha left her home and vanished into thin air. The mystery is reported to have recently been solved. I don’t think it is all that simple. Unless you are a witness of some event you can only guess or rely on other’s account, but either way is plausible though unproven.
2. The story began like this. At 9.45 p.m. on December 3rd 1926, Agatha Christie left her home in the south of England, saying that she was going out for a drive in her car. The next morning, her car was found quite far away crashed. The front end of the car was in some bushes, the headlights were still on. Inside, there were only some women’s clothes and Agatha Christie’s driving licence.
3. Firstly, the policeman in charge of the case organized a thorough search of the area where her car was found. Police inspectors from different parts of the country came to help with the investigation. Secondly, the police found out that her marriage was not a successful one. Thirdly, the police received a letter informing that she was going away to rest in Yorkshire, Harrogate. The police failed to find her there.
4. According to the article Agatha Christie did not do it to gain extra publicity. She did it since she was seeking some place where solitude might help her to get through an unhappy period of her life. We don’t know whether it is true or not, but it is what the text says.
Обратите внимание на другой вариант ответов к тексту Mysterious disappearance. В данном случае в качестве ответов используются слегка измененные предложения из текста.
1. This text is about a mystery in the life of Agatha Christie. She was a famous detective writer.
3. One morning, her car was found quite far away crashed. Later the police received a letter saying that she was going to Yorkshire, Harrogate. They could not find her there as she used a fake name.
4. The writer was going through an unhappy time with her husband. Later they broke up and divorced.
Теперь вы готовы к ответам на текст Mysterious disappearance?