Предлагаем вашему вниманию упражнение по мотивам ошибок, допущенных участниками районных олимпиад по английскому языку.
Упражнение по материалам для подготовки к олимпиадам
1. He was almost [A] and unable to give any sound thought.
A asleep B sleeping C sleepless D sleepy
2. This is the biggest problem in his [managerial] career. MANAGER
3. You are the victim of a rather cunning [deception]. DECEIVE
4. These ancient buildings are part of the national [D].
A heir B treasure C inheritance D heritage
5. It cost a(n) [B] twenty dollars.
A just B mere C only D little
6. In my opinion the whole affair is a waste of time.
As [far as I am concerned] the whole affair is a waste of time
7. They failed, [ which ] is what I had predicted from the very beginning.
8.The article provides a detailed [analysis] of various findings. ANALYSE
9. The book was not easy to take as it was far from me.
I couldn’t get the hold of the book since it was [out of reach].
10.We contributed a sum of £500 to the [charitable] fund. CHARITY
11. She worked as a(n) [cartoonist] for the local newspaper. CARTOON
12. Alex behaved like a [A] child wanting its own way.
A spoilt B rotten C stained D polluted
13. She made a speech at his [D]
A cemetery B interment C coffin D funeral
14.She’ll [B] into quite a lot of money when she is of age and takes advantage of her relatives will.
A turn B come C look D run
15. Look! Little Mark has just learned to [B].
A creep B crawl C stride D stroll
16. The situation had become [intolerable] to him. He was eager for action. TOLERATE
17. Her overwhelming [arrogance] put him off her once and for ever. ARROGANT
18. In the end he managed to get over his early resignation.
Finally he succeeded [in coming to terms with] his early resignation.
19. She was taken [ i n ] for the night by her college friend.
20. She was taking him [ o f f ] when he came in. He was outrageous.
21. I hope you got what I was saying.
I hope [I made myself understood] during my speech.