В этой серии публикаций мы обратимся к текстам для чтения на выпускном экзамене по английскому языку. Сегодня мы разбираем текст из шестнадцатого билета World digital library opens.
Вопросы к тексту World digital library opens
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about.
2. The author tells us about the person who created the library and why he decided to do it. Find this extract and read it aloud.
3. What ways are used to search the library?
4. Why is it a good idea to create such a library?
Варианты ответов к тексту World digital library opens
1. In our age and day many things have taken electronic forms. Even libraries are on the march. The text is about a digital library which is accessible via the Internet. In the past people used various materials to make books. As time goes, some materials tend to deteriorate so we are in danger of losing some earlier books. It seems to me that making electronic copies is the only way to preserve the books which were made ages ago.
2. The World Digital Library was the idea of James H Billington. He is the head librarian of the USA’s Library of Congress, the largest library in the world. Mr Billington hopes the new digital library will be used by young students and teachers everywhere to discover more about the world’s cultural history. The library contains about 1,200 items from 26 libraries in 19 countries. An explanation of each item is available in seven languages — Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese and Russian.
3. Visitors search the library in several ways. They can sort out the items in accordance with their age. They can also sort their findings by stylistic characteristics or by geographical terms. As most books are also turned into text files, you can perform a word search.
4. I firmly believe it is a good idea to create such a library for various reasons. To start with, computer files are easy to store and back up. You will never lose them if you are cautious enough. Thanks to the Internet, the library makes all the materials fast to access and analyse. Last, but not least, it is ecologically friendly since you don’t have to cut down trees so as to make paper for printing books.
Обратите внимание на другой вариант ответов к тексту World digital library opens. В данном случае в качестве ответов используются слегка измененные предложения из текста.
1. This test is about new worldwide digital library recently opened on the Internet.
3.They can enter either historical dates or a certain topic or a country to see what items were made in the world.
4. This library lets people see rare items from around the world, including some
of the earliest written works, ancient books and maps.
Теперь вы готовы к ответам на текст World digital library opens?
В рамках шестнадцатого билета предлагаются аудирование Interview with Ray Tomlinson и ситуация для обсуждения Let’s talk about customs and traditions of an English-speaking country (устная тема, ответы на вопросы).